INSTITUTE OF ARCHAEOLOGY

"Teaching facilities were at 36 Beaumont Street"
The Institute of Archaeology is devoted to the teaching and research of archaeology. Together with the Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art, it forms part of the School of Archaeology.
The Institute's was originated in 1946 by Christopher Hawkes and Ian Richmond. Teaching facilities were at 36 Beaumont Street, which grew into the Institute. It was formally founded in 1961. Starting in 1992, Oxford introduced a bachelor's degree in anthropology and archaeology and the Institute became the focal point for undergraduate teaching in archaeology. The Sackler Library, situated behind the Institute, was opened in 2001. During its construction a Bronze Age ring ditches and a medieval orchard and Carmelite priory were discovered under the foundations.